Sunday, June 3, 2012

Vegan Groceries - Seasonal Fruit And Veg

I try to eat as much seasonal fruit and vegetables as possible since we are suckers for fresh produce. I plan my grocery lists around the in-season items and then plan meals around what I buy.

One favourite for autumn/winter (since that is where we are here in Australia) is apples. There are so many things they can be used for. Apple pie, apple juice, apple sauce, apple chutney, you can dice them up and put them into porridge along with some cinnamon and raw sugar, and they can be dried if you've got a good deal on a couple of kilos worth of them.

The other good thing about autumn and winter are the citrus fruits coming into season. Not only do I love grapefruit as a nice addition to breakfasts and orange as orange juice, but lemons and limes provides nice opportunities.
My husband is not a fan of plain water, and with lemon and lime the possibility for home-made lemonade comes into play. It is a lot better than the store bought, carbonated beverages in that the lemons and limes actually do contain large amounts of vitamin C.
And, for all those of us who love our Mojitos and Margaritas over the weekend the abundance of lime is great.
One of the new projects in our home is whispered about as being citrus mousses and jellies with the help of agar agar, and soy lecithin.

I love Asian food. Stir fries, Pad Thai, warm noodle soups and curries alike. With broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, beetroot, ginger, kale, okra and Chinese vegetables making an entrance into the "in season" section again that is one thing we will be looking forward to. Bread, pasta and cous cous will slowly be substituted with noodles and rice, sweet potato and potato.

I hope I will come up with some nice recipes to share on this blog, and maybe some failed ones to warn against. As for now I am working on the grocery list for tomorrow. I might post again later today though, because now I am delving into options for beauty regimes, being the vain woman I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment